Have you ever been in the middle of a financial crisis? Maybe you lost your job, faced an unexpected medical bills, or stretched your budget too far? Although it's hard to stay positive during these difficult times, it's possible. Here are some tips for how to stay upbeat when dealing with money woes.
- Remember, it could be worse: We often get so caught up in our own problems that we forget that others are facing much bigger money troubles. Thinking about how someone else is making it through a financial crisis can provide needed perspective.
- Celebrate the little wins: Even if you’re not able to make any significant progress on your credit card debt or meeting other financial obligations, you can still celebrate small successes. For example, if you manage to come up with the money to pay a particularly difficult expense, congratulate yourself and savor that moment of victory.
- Focus on Now: Dwelling too much on the sleepless nights, possible bill defaulting, or the debt collectors’ calls can have a negative impact on our mental health. To combat stress, try to focus on the present moment and the blessings that bring joy into your life.
- Set goals and reward yourself: Financial crisis can be difficult, but it is also an opportunity to effect change. Make small goals for yourself, like paying off a particular debt or saving a certain amount. Once you’ve achieved your goal, reward yourself with something you enjoy, whether it’s a night out with friends or some new clothes.
- Support System: Let your friends and family know what you’re going through. By having a strong support system, you can find the emotional strength to stay positive and make effective decisions.
Finally, don’t neglect physical and mental health. You can’t make it through a financial crisis if your health takes a hit. Exercise, eat healthy foods, and practice self-care. Find activities that bring you comfort and joy, like journaling, listening to music, or cooking. It's easy to fall into the trap of feeling like you should be doing something productive, but it's important to also make time for mental breaks away from the challenges of money issues. Through it all, it is key to remember that you can survive any financial emergency when you focus on self-care and small successes.
We all go through tough times financially, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t stay happy and upbeat. Embrace small successes, set goals and reward yourself, and lean on your friends and family. These strategies can help you weather the storm in ways that help you feel good.