Vata Pacifying Sri Lankan Ayurvedic Dhal Recipe
This particular dhal has quickly gone up on my list of favorite meals to prepare and eat! Thank you Tom for introducing me to this deliciously simple recipe!
If you’re constantly cold, (especially in your extremities), if you have dry skin, hair and nails, are suffering from poor digestion and elimination then you probably have a vata imbalance.
This recipe can help you bring back harmony and balance into your life, as it applies an opposing force of warmth, density and spice to the cold, airy and dry elements of vata.
Here you go folks, indulge and enjoy!
Serves: 4-6 meals
Prepping time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
- 2 cups of overnight soaked red lentils
- 2 red onions diced in small pieces
- 5 garlic cloves diced in small pieces
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of organic coconut cream (or the equivalent of one can of coconut cream
Spices & Herbs:
- Turmeric powder or fresh turmeric shopped in small pieces
- Curry powder
- 3 cinnamon sticks or 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 red chili slices
- Chili flakes (optional, that’s if you like it extra spicy)
- 2 tablespoons of mustard seeds
- A handful of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- On medium heat, in a large pan, poor the coconut cream, add the onions, garlic and red lentils
- Add all the spices and herbs and let simmer for 20-30 minutes
- Stir every couple of minutes, to avoid the lentils sticking and burning at to the bottom of the pan
- Add water slowly throughout the cooking process
- Add the spinach 5 minutes before the dish is finished and stir
And here you go, simple easy and delicious!!!