Practical Guidelines To Prevent Back Pain And Finding The Right MattressDec 16, 2019
Back pain can be caused due to a number of reasons including strained muscles, skeletal problems, sleep disorders, bad mattresses, and body wrong posture. According to the latest survey, about 80% of people experience back pain at some part of their life. A wrong mattress can make this condition even worse.
The reason is that a poor mattress does not provide the necessary support hence leading to bad sleeping posture, muscle straining of the neck, upper and lower back and poor spine alignment. A good mattress helps to reduce aches and pain in your back and lower body as it provides structural support and balance of body conformation.
Choosing The Right Mattress
Now this task is a tricky one. The answer is definitely not the same for every person. In fact, you can also not rely on the same mattress type all your life. It varies from time to time depending upon various factors. A good bed should provide two basic things: support and comfort. So consider the following points to get the right and best mattress.
· Neither Too Firm Nor Too Soft
The key is that your mattress should neither be too firm nor too soft. It should provide cushioning around your pressure points yet strong enough to keep your spine straight in an erect position.
· For Side Sleepers
While sleeping on your side, your spine from the neck all the way down, should be straight and parallel to the floor. In case your shoulders and hips are raised a little upwards then it is a sign that your mattress is too firm. If your shoulders and hips sink downwards then it is a sign that your mattress is too soft to provide the necessary support.
· For Stomach Sleepers
If you used to sleep on your stomach, then firstly it is not recommended. This position also puts pressure on your sensitive body organs so it should be avoided. Else if you still want to have a mattress to aid your sleeping position, then choose the one which avoids sinking of your torso. This could put pressure on your lower back.
· For Back Sleepers
While lying on your back, your body should be in an apposition similar to your standing position. You should not feel pressure on your upper back and hips and there shouldn’t be many gaps between the bed and your back. Also, the mattress should not let your shoulders and hips to sink in the bed.
· Wool Fabric
Mattress with a wool fabric helps to regulate body temperature as it is a thermo-regulator. It may also aid blood circulation and hence may cause to reduce back pain.
· Smart Fabric
This new technology helps to reduce back pain by converting the heat generated from the body into infrared energy and then reflecting it back to the body. This is done with the help of a Celliant fiber which in turn regulates body temperature, increases tissue oxygenation and improves blood circulation.
Other Useful Tips To Avoid Back Pain
· Medium fill pillows are best for back sleepers. Pillows should neither be too big to bring your chin closer to the chest nor should they be too low to let your head fall back.
· Thin pillows are recommended for side sleepers just to provide cushion to your face.
· Try to do exercises for back straightening and stretching twice a week.
· Smoking leads to restriction in the flow of nutrients containing blood to the spine which ultimately causes back pain. So, one needs to put an end to smoking.
· If you have to sleep on your back, then take two pillows and place one under your lower back and the other under your knees. This will help to maintain a straight alignment.
· Avoid lifting heavy objects. If you have to then squat down and hold it closer to your body.
· Avoid wearing high heels for longer time periods.
Be the first to post a message!