6 Dirty Secrets of Bottled WaterFeb 10, 2018
There are secrets about bottled water that water corporations are hiding from you. Americans spend 15 billion dollars on bottled water each year. The U.S. is the world leader in the consumption of bottled water as well. Drinking water is a very profitable industry. We are told that tap water is full of chemicals and we are much safer with store bought water. But are we really safe?
1. Bottled Water is less regulated than tap water. Here is the biggest shocker of all – tap water is much safer for you than bottled water. Why? Tap water is subjected to strict health standards which are performed daily to ensure it is not polluted and contaminated. Whereas, bottled water undergoes the standard procedure only once a week. On top of all, bottled water is treated with disinfectants, which in turn can produce byproducts called trihalomethanes. This chemical byproduct is linked to birth defects and even cancer.
2. Bottled Water Comes from municipal water sources. If you think that your bottled water comes from that magnificent remote area (aka natural springs), you are mistaken. The fancy picture on the bottle and alluring commercials have nothing to do with the reality. The truth is bottled water is essentially the same tap water you can get at home.
3. Bottled Water is a Rip Off. Bottled water is so pricey sometimes that it makes you think it’s liquid gold. You pay 100 times more for a bottle of water than you would for tap water at home. And the quality of the latter surpasses the bottled water. Additionally, bottled water is a rip off in terms of taste as well. In most cases it tastes the same as tap water.
4. Plastic Water Bottles are dangerous to your health. The plastic used to make water bottles is full of chemicals. Most plastic bottles contain BPA – bisphenol-A. It’s a toxic chemical that is linked to major health problems. (here)Plastic water bottles also contain phthalates; they mimic hormones in your body. If left in the sun or exposed to heat, these chemicals are leaked in the water.
5. Bottled Water is Dangerous for the Environment. Around 3 million tons of plastic are used to produce bottled water worldwide every year. And to produce this plastic, around 47 million gallons of oil per year is used. Despite the claim that nearly all water bottles are being recycled, around 75 percent of the plastic water bottles end up in lakes, oceans, streams, etc. Most of the time, they don’t get fully decomposed.
6. Bottled Water contains Fluoride. Most bottle waters add back fluoride which is a very dangerous toxic chemical.
To sum it up, bottled water is not only cost ineffective and more dangerous to the environment, it is also less safe than tap water. Don’t waste your money on the bottled water scam. You are much better off getting a water filter or even drinking tap water. I recommend reading more information (here) on dangers of bottled water.