Right now: Moon at 14°55' Leo, Sun at 2°04' Libra
A practical approach
There are many approaches to the electional astrology. In the following article Id like to propose to you the system I use and which is serving me quite well.
In electional astrology there are 4 main important things to consider:
1. The chart must describe the endeavor
2. The natural significators of the action should be strong
3. The electional chart must go well with the natal chart
4. The electional chart if read backwards, as a horary chart, must yield a yes answer to the question if the matter will be realized successfully
Lets talk about each of these issues.
According to the nature of the action we want to perform, the Ascendant must be in a proper sign: wed like to see a Sagittarius rising for publishing, Gemini rising for a trip and so on.
The cardinal signs are good for actions that will conclude soon such as selling an item, the fixed signs are proper for things that should last a long time such as a house or a marriage, while the mutable signs are fit for intermediate time range.
The phase of the Moon should be elected according to the desired evolution of the situation: if it is a business that wed like to expand, the Moon should be waxing, increasing in light from the New Moon to the Full Moon, but if it is a situation that wed like to diminish, such as a diet in order to lose weight or the removal of the excessive body hair, the Moon should be waning, decreasing in light from the Full Moon to the New Moon.
The ancients used the so-called mansions of the Moon, 28 sky sectors for each lunar day, similar to the 12 sky sectors known as the zodiacal signs. They are fairly useful even in modern times, so keep an eye on them and use them, when possible.
The Moon in signs is also to be considered: you might not want to have a Taurus Moon when starting a spiritual enterprise and a Pisces Moon in your business natal chart.
The Moons aspects are very important. Never let the Moon be void of course in the chart unless you want the venture to fail or not to yield any results.
The Moons aspects will tell the story and the last aspect of the Moon before leaving her current chart will tell how the matter will end. Make sure it is a favorable one. If you cant do that, use as the last Moon aspect a conjunction, sextile or trine with the Part of Fortune. This will do the thing and ensure a favorable outcome. Actually the aspects to the Part of Fortune can save the Moon for a while from being void of course, but use this only in extreme cases.
If possible, have a look at the planetary hour and day. Ideally, the planetary ruler of the hour/day is the same as the natural ruler of the matter.
The natural significators of the action should be fairly strong. Place them in their domicile or exaltation sign, if this is not possible then at least make sure they have an essential dignity at that degree (even if it is only by term or face), dont allow them to be peregrine, as they will not have the power to perform the action.
The other important thing to consider is to avoid them to be combust (less the 8.5 degrees from the Sun), the combustion is a important debility.
3. The connections with the natal chart are also very important to consider: the natal house where the Ascendant of the electional chart falls is the sector of your life that will be influenced by this event. Never allow the electional Ascendant to be in your natal 12th, 6th or even 8th house unless the matter pertains to these houses.
Some ancient astrologers affirm that the connections with the current Solar Return chart are relevant. Play with this one as well if you wish.
Electional chart <=> Horary chart
Remember to read your electional chart as if it was a horary chart. If the answer is yes then your chart is good and you may trust it.
How to proceed
Here are my guidelines when electing a good moment for the start of any enterprise
- identify the planets, signs and houses that naturally rule the matter
- scan the ephemerides for a period when the main natural significator is strong by its sign position and has good aspects
- look for a day in that period when the Moon is in conjunction, sextile or trine with that planet
- turn the chart so that the planet will rule of the house that corresponds to the matter
- check the entire chart for problems, see if there is any major inconvenient that would impede a positive answer
- adjust the time minute by minute so that the significators will be positioned in good houses; also look for any particular fixed stars connections: try to stick an angle to Spica or Regulus but avoid a proeminent Algol at any costs
The electional astrology will not allow you to play God. Although it is theoretically possible to elect a perfect moment in order to achieve the ultimate success in any field, this will not happen if it is not written in your natal chart.
It wont happen if it is not meant to be. You will find that no matter how much you would try, there are some periods when it is not possible to elect a decent moment. Ask yourself then if you are prepared to engage in whatever you want to do, if it is really a good idea.
On the contrary, there are cases when we scarcely work a few minutes on the electional chart and we come up with a very nice chart that complies with most of the requirements. These are the cases when the person is not only ready but is required to perform that action.
There is no such thing as a perfect chart. There will always be some misplaced planet or other element, but that will only spice things up a bit, making life more interesting to live. Just like there is no perfect man or perfect action. However, if you think that youve reached the peak of spiritual enlightment then you dont need electional astrology. This is for us, the other folks, who try to improve ourselves and to live in harmony with the Universe.
Article by Radu
Read another article on electional astrology.
Radu is the webmaster of AstrologyWeekly.com, author of most articles published on this website. His field of expertise is represented by horary and electional astrology. More details on the About me page.
Order an electional astrology reading